Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday, 24 March 2008




Praise God for another fantastic day. Great weather. Great ministry. Great impact.

Today, we visited the Van Ryn House of Safety in the morning and the Norman House of Safety in the afternoon. Both of these are 24/7 facilities for children who have been orphaned by AIDS, abandoned or abused by parents and removed from the home, expelled or suspended from school for violence or other issues, or who just have nowhere else to go. Since we visited during Easter holiday, the children and teens we met had the added burden of being among those who had not left to go to a relative's house for holiday.

At both locations, we played games for about an hour to make connections and break down barriers, then gathered the kids together to perform the "Everything" drama, followed by testimonies from the team and then personal, one-on-one conversations. The gospel bracelets that Tori put together were a HUGE success and a great draw to open up the gospel message.

Kyle, Katie, CJ, Faith, Courtney, Trevor, and Andrea did great with the little ones, playing Zebra, Zebra, Lion (Duck, Duck, Goose), Red Light/Green Light, etc. while Kelly, Josh, Tori, Hannah, Darren, Steve, and Thomas ran the games for the teens with World Cup Soccer, Klumps, and, of course, the smash hit, Chicken in a Hen House. How can such a silly game connect people so quickly?

At Van Ryn, Hannah and Darren shared testimony after the drama, while at Norman, Trevor and Courtney did the same. All four did a great job, sharing from the heart what Christ has done for them.

At Van Ryn, one of the leaders, a woman named Dikeledi (translated "Tears of Joy") was so moved by the drama that she begged us to help her adapt it for an outreach program she does to students who struggle with drug addictions and for use in the public schools (funny, you could never do that in public schools in America). We talked for a bit and then I connected her with John Page, since Word of Life would be a great local resource for her.

At Norman, one of the men on staff thanked me profusely for coming. He said, "You have provided what they really need, spiritual hope. You have touched the heart and when you touch the heart, the behavior is sure to follow."

I could go on and on about the amazing connections God allowed to be made today, but I'll let the team share their experience with you. Tonight at our debriefing, I asked them to share what God did today and this is what they said (paraphrased a bit, since my shorthand is not very good):

Thomas: I learned the importance of listening. These children want to speak to someone who cares. I spoke with one teen who wouldn't talk while others were around, but as soon as the other guys wandered away, he opened up and we had a good conversation. I was also very surprised at how hard it was to leave. I thought I had prepared for the trip, but I was not prepared to be asked by a child, "when are you coming back?"

Hannah: All they want is for someone to show them love. I talked with a girl with epilepsy. It made her angry and made her feel even more alone. I told her that she didn't have to go through it alone--that God was there for her to help her through. Another little girl couldn't even speak English, but she came right up and wanted me to hold her. We communicated though hugs, smiles and giggles.

Josh: I spoke with Cipo (one of the adult leaders at Van Ryn) and he told me many of the stories behind these children. Some had been found in trash bins, taken to the hospital, and then dropped off here. He said we made their day! I also spoke with another child from an abusive home.

Faith: At Van Ryn, I talked to a group of kids about the gospel bracelet and one of them really listened intently. At Norman, I met a teen named Prudence. She opened up about the struggles in her life: being orphaned, running away from home. After our time together, she said, "it feels so good to be loved." My day today showed me just how ungrateful I can be. I have two parents who love me and have a strong marriage, siblings who are healthy, etc. I need to be more grateful for what God has given me.

Courtney: At Van Ryn, a little boy sat off to the side and was just waiting for someone to pick him up. At Norman, I spoke with a girl named Amanda and she told me her story. She had been kicked out of home in England for smoking and she felt that no one loved her. Her grandmother here in S.A. would be coming for her when she turned 18.

Tori: I tried to speak with the girl who was my partner for the game, but she was very distracted. It was disappointing to not get to have a deeper conversation with her. Later, a little boy came out of nowhere and just sat on my lap. He didn't let go of me the whole time. When it was time for us to leave, he didn't want to let go, and neither did I.

Kyle: During the drama, the Van Ryn crowd was laughing and giggling at first, but at the point when Jesus breaks in, their response was powerful and amazing! Later, a little boy came up to me and raised his arms to be held. I carried him the whole time.

Darren: I was watching the crowd's faces during the drama at Van Ryn. Some were not paying attention at first, but at the midway point, their expression changed and they were totally focussed in. After, I talked with one of them, and he share how much he appreciated that we had come.

Trevor: Some of the kids weren't interested in the games, but all were interested in the fact that we were from America. They just wanted to be with us. At Norman, I had two really good conversations.

CJ: At Van Ryn, I sat down with my group of kids and I was surprised at how much some of them already knew about Jesus. At Norman, I talked with Martha (the head of the home). It really shocked me that I was seeing in person the poverty and suffering that up until now I had only seen on T.V.

Steve: At Norman, I spoke with Albert (who had earlier prayed with Thomas to receive Christ!). He was amazed at the concept of forgiveness--that God had taken away his sin! I was reminded how much I take God's forgiveness for granted. I guess since I have been saved for a while, I've lost the fascination with God's grace which is a shame.

Kelly: I talked with a girl who shared that she used to cut herself (a concept brought out in the drama). I told her that God was there to help her through her pain. He is there.

Andrea: These children are longing for any affection and love. I also spoke with a teen who had trusted Christ recently despite her family's multiple religions. Her struggle now was to find a good church so she may worship and learn more about God.

Katie: This day has been an encouraging reaffirmation from God that he has truly called me to teach kids! What an amazing day. At Norman, following the drama, a girl came up to me and asked to pray with me. When we were done and I opened my eyes, a line had formed around us, with other girls asking for prayer.

Jack: It is amazing what a cheap, $4 soccer ball will do (we had given away the soccer balls at the first stop and bought some more on the way to the second. We gave these way too.) I had the opportunity to pray with a little boy named Bangoni who trusted in Christ.

Allyson: I was able to tell a number of girls how beautiful they were and how God had made them special. One responded that "it's nice to know that someone loves me." Later, a group of little girls began to sing a song they know about God. A little boy began to point and laugh at them. However, unlike what most of us would do, these little girls looked at the boy, straightened their shoulders, and sang even louder. How many of us would face that mocking and keep singing?

Please join us in praising God for:

  • Albert, Bangoni, and others who prayed to receive salvation today!
  • the wonderful children and teens we met and for the eye-opening experience we have had.
  • many opportunities today to share His gospel.
  • a great team spirit and unity of purpose in Christ.
Please join us in praying for:
  • all of the children we met today--that God would continue to speak to their hearts after we have gone, and that God would raise up others who will continue to love these precious children.
  • continued focus and purpose.
  • the weather to improve in England and for us to not get too much more sunburnt :) We'll try not to rub it in (the only thing we'll rub in is our suntan lotion :)
God is good!

8 comments:

Mrs. Debra Anderson said...

WOW!! What an experience! And what a testimony to share with others in the U.S. the goodness of the Lord in SA. How He loves the little children and sent the TKCS SA mission team to minister to their needs. I thank God for this opportunity for you to minister to others, to minister as a team and to grow spiritually. You are truly becoming servant leaders in a BIG WAY!!!

Thank God for all of you!!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful!! Showing these children the love of our Lord. Spending time with them and showing them the Lord loves them is a powerful thing. These pictures have been the most beautiful yet. My Toria, you look so happy with that little boy. We're glad you were able to use the salvation bracelets you made for these children. Team, keep up the great work you are doing in the name of our Lord.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
its so good to see how you guys are showing God's love to the kids over there. this is really an experience that you will never forget. years from now you will remember the kids that you meet and the funny things that they do and things that they say to you. enjoy it while you can. i have been on a trip to inner city philly and seeing those pictures brings back so many great memories. the last thing that i said to trevor was that these kids just want people to love them. that is how you will be able to connect with these kids and show them the love of God coming through you to them. be servants to God and leaders to the kids. the impact that you have on them now will last for there entire lives. they will never forget the time that those cool teens from america came over and showed them that someone in the world did love them. im praying for you guys like crazy and hoping that God will teach each of you just as much as you are teaching those kids. remember to lean on God in times of need because that is when His strength is shown through His children the most. keep it up guys...your doing great. stay safe and be careful.
-Drew

Anonymous said...

Praise God, great things He has done! What a wonderful day you had.
Thank-you Jon for taking the time to post these pictures and write these recaps every day. We really do appreciate it.
We are praying daily for all of you.

Darren - on Friday's call home, call Mom on her cell. Love you!

Love
Jack and Andrea

Virginia Tuley said...

Wow! How beautiful is the work of God through you as His vessels! Another "party day" for the angels in heaven with new members of God's family being added. Thanks for your faithfulness. We made it to DC and hit the ground running. We worked long, hard, and fast all day long with knee bending and back stretching and eyeopening experiences! Know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers! I couldn't agree with Drew more - you all are doing great - just keep depending on Jesus - through Him you can do all things!
Via Jesus, Mrs. Tuley & The TKCS DC Team (Ephesians 3:14-21)

amanda.hastings said...

awe I love getting updated with how amazing your trip is!! Its great to see how God is breaking down barriers so you can show his love to these kids! I will continue to pray for a great trip and be safe!! God bless!!!

Anonymous said...

The pictures and your testimonies are so beautiful! I am praying for all of you and for the children that you meet. Be safe and have fun! I can't wait to see the spiritual fruit and maturity that I know God is growing in you!

Peg Savidge said...

Being retired now, I have more time to pray. It is a blessing to pray for you as you serve on the missions team. The pictures and descriptions really help me to pray for you and for the wonderful work that God has given you to do for His glory.